These vegetarian burger patties are one of the favorite comfort foods for my daughters. Many times I tried making the burger patties based on different cook book recipes, then I created this one with a combination of selected ingredients from those recipes and additional items.of my choice. This recipe uses dry beans, but you can make it from canned black beans too. Also you can customize according to your taste. It is little time consuming to make these patties, but having these in my freezer makes my life easier to make a healthy and tasty burger quickly, especially when the kids get hungry at odd times.
- Dry black beans ——————– 2 cups
- Brown rice —————————– 1 cup
- Bread crumbs ———————— 1/2 cup
- Celery ————————————- 2 ribs (finely diced)
- Garlic powder ———————— 1 tbsp
- Hot chili powder ——————– 1 tsp
- Oregano leaves ———————– 1 tbsp
- Onion ————————————— 1 (finely diced)
- Cooking oil —————————— 4 tbsp
How to make
- Soak the dry beans overnight and cook it with salt (if you use canned black beans, it may already contain salt)
- Cook the brown rice
- Saute the onion and celery with a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of oil for few minutes.
- Take a large bowl and coarsely mash the black beans and brown rice using a potato masher
- Then add all other ingredients in the list except the cooking oil and mix them well
- Shape the bean mixture into 1/4 inch thickness of patties (grease your hands with cooking oil to avoid patties sticking to hand)
- Place a wide pan on medium heat and add a table spoon of oil
- Now place the patties on the pan and cook until they become little brown on both sides (turn the patties carefully)
- Each time add a table spoon of oil before placing new patties on the pan
- Take the patties out and keep them in a tray
- After the patties cool down, store them in the freezer
- When you are making the burger, take the patties from the freezer and microwave it for a minute and make the burger
- I usually make it in large batch and my kids love to take them to their dorm too
Video of making the burger
Below is a sample video of my daughter making a burger. You can use your choice of items to make it.
If you have any questions, please post them in the comments section.