When I was in my hometown in India, got a chance to visit Thengapattanam beach and buy some mussels. October to December is the mussel season there and we can always find plenty of mussels in the fish markets during those months. Since we rarely visit India during this season, we went all out and bought a big basket full of mussels in the auction (about 400 mussels). Cleaning this many mussels was a big process and we spent a lot of time doing it. At that time my cousin was also visiting our home for few days, so my mom, elder sister, younger sister, my cousin and I spent a lot of time together to get it done, but it was totally fun and everyone enjoyed the work (and especially the result)!
- First wash the mussels with water
- Take a big pot and add the mussels
- Cook it in medium heat until the mussel shells are open (about 15 minutes)
- Switch off the stove and wait for it to cool down
- Now split the mussel shells and take out the flesh
- Some of them may have the hair knots inside, take them out and also remove the stomach part.
- Now you can use the cleaned flesh to make different dishes.