Today I am going to write a recipe for making fish curry with silver pomfret fish, but you can use this recipe with any kind of fish. This is a popular recipe from our home town near Kanyakumari in India. My hometown is a mile away from Thengapattanum beach, so fish were abundant and I was raised eating them in every manner possible. We would get the fish fresh, then clean them ourselves and feed the remains to the neighborhood cats. Still today, in Minneapolis, our cat is very fond of watching me prep the fish.
- Fish – 1
- Chili powder – 1 tsp (reduce based on your spice level)
- Cashmere chili powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Soaked kudampuli – 2 pieces (soak in 1/4 cup of a lukewarm water for 5 minutes)
- Things to make a paste
- Grated coconut – 1/8 cup
- Shallots – 4
- Garlic – 3 pods
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaf – 2
- Cooking oil – 1/2 tbsp
How to Prepare
- Clean the fish and cut it in to small pieces (I used a frozen fish, so I had to thaw the fish before cutting)
- Make a fine paste of the coconut with cumin seeds, garlic, shallots and little water using a mixer
- Now add the spices, coconut paste and soaked kudampuli to the cleaned fish
- Add 1 cup of water and mix it well
- Place the pot in a stove and keep it in medium heat
- Close the pot with a lid and cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Do not stir the fish curry with the spoon, if required hold the pot with both the hands, lift it up little bit and gently swirl it.
- Now do the seasoning
- Heat the oil in a small sauce pan in medium heat
- Add the mustard seeds and once it crackles, add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves to it
- Pour this into the fish curry
- Cook for 2 more minutes and switch off the stove
- Now the very tasty fish curry is ready to serve
Yummy Aji! Lovely presentation of all the steps for making fish curry! I love your cooking!❤️
The steps are very easy to prepare the recipes and the brown knitted hat is nice.
Thank you Jeya!
Thank you Kris!