This is one of my favorite healthy breakfast dishes, . You can prepare this one on the stove top, in a slow cooker or in an instant pot, but mostly I make it in the pressure cooker. It is the easiest thing for me to prepare on a busy morning, the leftover also can stay good in the refrigerator for a day or two. Steel cut oats is fairly neutral, so you can eat it with fruits on top, but I like to eat with something spicy like tomato thokku and a scrambled egg (egg poriyal).
- Steel cut oats ———— 1 1/2 cup
- Water ————————- 3 cups
- Grated coconut ——— 1/4 cup (optional)
- Salt to taste
How to make
- In a pressure cooker, add 3 cups of water and salt
- Keep the stove on high heat until the water boils
- Add the steel cut oats, close the cooker lid and keep it on medium heat for one whistle, then switch off the stove
- Once the pressure releases, open the pressure cooker and add the grated coconut and mix well (when you first open the pressure cooker it may look little watery, but once you stir with coconut, it will be in right consistency).
- Eat this with scrambled egg or any of your favorite side dish
[…] is the picture of roasted asparagus served with steel cut oats upma, tomato thokku(pickle) and boiled egg with salt and […]
[…] Swiss chard is one of my favorite spinach. This year we had lot of Swiss chard in our vegetable garden, so I made different kinds of dishes using them. This is the tastiest one, also you can make it in few minutes. Usually I make it in the morning for breakfast as side dish for steel-cut oats. […]