Varagu rice is one of the well-known millets in Indian cuisine. It looks like quinoa and kind of creamy white in color. In English, varagu is called as kodo millet. It is known for its health benefits, like anti-diabetic, anti-obesity, anti-cholesterol and anti-hypertension. Varagu is easy to cook and it can be cooked like rice. Also it can be used as good substitute for rice.
Varagu can grow in relatively dry area and used to be considered as poor people’s rice in the villages. Nowadays it’s become popular in the category of healthy eating and can be found in all departmental stores in the cities. Here is the very simple recipe of varagu porridge!
- Varagu ——————————— 1 cup
- Whole black gram ————– 1/4 cup
- Whole garlic ———————— 1 (peeled)
- Grated coconut ——————- 1/2 cup
- Water ———————————– 3 cups
- Salt to taste
How To Make
- Wash the varagu and black gram
- In a pressure cooker, add everything in the list, except grated coconut
- Cook it for about 20 minutes in medium heat
- Switch off the stove and wait for the pressure to release from the pressure cooker
- Now open the pressure cooker, add the grated coconut and mix it well
- Enjoy it with your favorite thuvaiyal