This is a healthy and tasty side dish for rice, prepared from fresh moringa leaves. Moringa has been used for many centuries for it’s medicinal values and health benefits. It is packed with multiple vitamins and minerals. It also has antifungal, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
Moringa is a commonly seen tree in our hometown. You can see them in front of most of the houses. The leaves, flowers, drumsticks and seeds from this tree are edible and different kinds of dishes can be prepared using them. When there are no other side dishes available for rice during lunch, people can quickly take some leaves from the moringa tree and make this stir fry. It is very simple to make with few ingredients.
I have previously posted couple of other recipes using moringa leaves, they are Moringa leaves conjee and moringa leaves water.
- Moringa leaf stalks —————— 1 bunch
- Grated coconut ———————– 1/2 cup
- Indian chili powder —————— 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder ——————– 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- For Tempering
- Cooking oil ———————— 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds —————— 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds ——————— 1/2 tsp
How To Make
- Gather all the leaves from the stalks and discard the stems
- Then wash the leaves few times in water
- Now heat a pan and do the tempering using the ingredients in the list
- Add the washed leaves and stir fry for about seven minutes
- Now add the chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix them well
- Then add the grated coconut and keep stirring
- Cook for another three minutes and turn off the stove
- Serve this tasty stir fry with hot rice